Buying safely – top tips for buyers
Please note that these guides do not constitute legal advice and any information provided in the guides should not be construed as legal advice or legal interpretation.
We do not accept any liability for any loss caused by your reliance on this guide.
The following guidelines will help you stay safe when buying goods through classified ads:
- Deal with people locally, who you can meet in person.
- Arrange a time and place you feel comfortable with.
- Meet in a well-lit, busy, public place (covered by CCTV preferably)
- Don’t meet the buyer alone if you are meeting in a public place.
- Give somebody else the details of whom, where and when you’re meeting
- Keep your mobile phone with you at all times in case of emergency.
- Beware if the goods are cheaper than usual.
- Be wary if a seller is putting pressure on you to make a quick decision.
- Please beware of forgeries e.g. big brand name goods, tickets, etc..
- Try to get a signed proof of purchase if at all possible.
- Ask the seller for a landline number (e.g. home or workplace phone).
How do I respond to ads safely?
We’ve got a wise filter system which prevents spam or suspicious mails from getting to you.
This saves you time and a number of other issues when are scammer hoping to reach you.
In addition, we hide your email address once you message someone.
Remember that you always need to log in through our site portal.
Find us on Google or Bing search or pin us into your favorites.
Do not follow links you get in emails as it’s a “phishing” tactic.
What potential risks are there?
Since our internal messaging system protects you, there may be certain individuals who ask you to take the conversation away from our site, on either your personal email or text messages. Just be cautious should you choose to do so. Whilst browsing, you might find some ads with either email addresses or telephone numbers incorporated into their photos.
Be very careful when proceeding in this case and do not hesitate to contact us to report them. If the scammer would like to get really smart, they might have a YouTube link added
in their advert which takes you to some video with contact information on it. Feel free to report these advertisements to us so that we are able to directly intervene on our side.
It may save someone a great deal of trouble.
- Never pay for any goods in advance.
- Be careful about carrying cash to pay for goods: or else pay with a bank draft.
- Ensure you have full access to your purchase before handing over all your money.
- Use cash or bank drafts when paying for goods where possible.
- Never pay for goods through Western Union or other money transfer services.